Wednesday 27 October 2010

Food/Service Qatar Airways/Turkish Airlines

Over the years I've traveled primarily in Asia and the US, less so in Europe. Some airlines have left memorable impressions over the years, that I'm surprised at the age of 29 to still remember from my early days pre teenager. Singapore Airlines was way ahead of its time (pre Nintendo Gameboy days) with these game consoles they have in the wall and give you in the flight to play in your seat later.

With that said, two very recent experiences stick out.

  1. I met a friend in Istanbul during fall 2010, he had just come over from Croatia. I asked him how Turkish Airlines was as I was taking them on my next journey to London. He kept mentioning the food and how it was of a quality he would go to a restaurant for - and thats even the economy class. I took economy to London and was extremely surprised, I have never had such good food in economy class in my life, the aubergine with beef and rice was really excellent, certainly restaurant quality (err umm if I say so, better than many "interesting" restaurants I've been to in London).
  2. During 2009 I had to travel between Singapore and Europe, Qatar Airways had been under pricing Emirates Etihad and Gulf Air, probably as a market penetration strategy. Everything was fine from Singapore to Doha. However I later had an experience in transit, that made me strongly believe that there was little organizational connection between the transit/check in desk and the actual crew on the aircraft. Somehow from them checking my boarding pass, to me walking to the aircraft - my seat became no longer available as another customer was seated in it. To top it off, I'm still chasing them for some of my mileage credit.  But they haven't heard the last of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment